Saturday, March 24, 2012

Life begins again--

When I woke up this morning I knew things were going to get better.
At last I have had several good nights sleep--instead of waking up every couple of hours I had eight hours sleep except for the toilet trot that is.
For a long time now both Stephen and I have been experiencing restless nights -sometimes we get up and make a cup of Milo or we read or hop on the computer- anything to stop the twaddle that is going on in our heads.
No we don't have any problems that are worrying us but we don't seem to be able to turn our brains off once we hit the pillow.
I have been continually tired and I know that is the reason why I have not been able to do anything creative.
But today was different-I felt great-I knew there was light at the end of the tunnel at last.
So what have I started to do........
This year the ACT (Canberra) Embroiderers Guild is celebrating its 50th birthday and for the exhibition's challenge we are doing "something" in the ACT colours which are blue gold and white.
We were given instructions plus some thread in the prefered colours and a gold charm of a pair of stork scissors.
The thread and scissors must be able to be seen and there are limitations as to the size etc.
We can use more threads but they must be in these colours or shades of these colours and I can assure you that every one will need more threads than those that given to us.
What to do was the next question?
I had been thinking of a range of ideas and I have been talking to people who had wonderful ideas but I wanted something different.
I thought that seeing as I had done the embroidered button class with Karen Ruane I would like to do a button and maybe embroider the ACT floral emblem on it.
But last week I was surfing the net and I saw a site that had the Chinese Yin-Yang sign done in amazing designs and colours and I knew that was what I would do.
The self cover button I am going to use is 6.5cm(2.5") across the middle which is quite large.
You can see the size of it compared to the 15cm(6") hoop it is sitting on.
I drew the design onto an old doyley and I have stitched the outline in blue and yellow French Knots and I will fill in the whole area with French Knots as well.
It will be a carpet of French Knots--thank goodness they are my favourite stitch.
I also have to decide where to put the stork scissor charm as it must be visible.
I will keep you posted on the progress as it unfurls.



This is the sketch I did just to see how it would look.




Oh and another thing---I have decided that it is about time that I did something about my weight which also adds to my tiredness--who needs to walk around carry weight which is like lumping 2 suitcases with you all day--not me that's for sure-so like I said in the title--life begins again.

13 comments:

DIAN said...

Doreen, I know what you mean about the sleep. I listen to my walkman on abc news radio throughout the night. Little earplug in one ear. When I manage at least 5 hours continuous sleep I feel great.

Your creative juices are flowing and that is good too.

Penny said...

I too know about the lack of sleep. Sometimes it is ok, others it isnt so I get up and read for a while. Weight! since going on the cortisone i stacked on another stone (in the old language) and cant move it. It went on about 2 days after I started the cortisone and am told that It wont go until I am finally off it.
Goodness knows when that will be, trying to wean myself off 1mg a month. The way I am going another 6 months.
Walking the dog is making me fitter but not slimmer!

Jen xo said...

i can relate to the lack of sleep too Doreen, and i do sleep better when i excersise...... the wieight loss will make you feel better too...

Dorothy said...

Oh, Doreen I can simpathise with you
on tiredness and lack of sleep and the weight problem. We seem to get on a round-about that is hard to get off, It does contribute to lack of energy and enthusiasm.

Heather said...

I'm useless without proper sleep so I know how you've been feeling. I also need to lose weight but am cursed with a good appetite so it wont be easy. I wish us both good luck!
Lovely project and I love the button design - a great idea and I love French knots too. Could you hang the scissors charm on a fine cord from the base of the button?

Mosaic Magpie said...

Sounds like an excellent plan here. A great new project in a stitch you like will be a pleasure to work on. The decision to lose weight is a good one for everyone! I can see it now, you wearing your newly created button with spring in your step from losing a few pounds!
Deb

Janet said...

Sleep problems can cause so many other problems. I recently heard that lack of sleep can make people eat more! So maybe you're on the right track by losing weight. I need to do that, too.

Doing this project in your favorite stitch should make it a fun one to complete. I have always loved the Yin-Yang symbol.

Maggi said...

Lovely idea for the challenge. Glad you are sleeping again as it is awful feeling constantly tired.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I can so much sympathize about the sleeping issue - I've been going through it to. I finally resorted to taking melatonin and I think it's helping. I still wake up during the night but not for long and I seem to sleep deeper. Good to see your creative mojo returning!

Robin Mac said...

Right, I shall expect to see a slim, svelte Doreen in October? Wish I could say the same about me, I need to lose some weight too and it is hard to shift, especially as walking is very difficult at present. Roll on 5 June and a new kn ee! Love the idea of the button, I hope I shall be able to see that in October as well. Cheers

Dot said...

Am so glad your mojo is back and you and Stephen are sleeping better. It is very hard to function when you haven't had enough sleep.
Sending much love your way.
Dot xx

Karen said...

I am so happy you have your creative mojo back!! Full steam ahead now with your plans for a beautiful button....

Françoise said...

It's great that you're feeling better. Looking forward to seeing your new work.